PHP is a generic Object Oriented Programming language designed to develop and create applications for the Web. PHP rules the web development industry due to its outstanding and powerful features. PHP web application development is indispensable in the creation of a wide range of web applications and websites.
PHP commands can be embedded directly into an HTML source document rather than calling an external file to process data. It has also evolved to include a command-line interface capability and can be used in standalone graphical applications.
Again, PHP is a server-side scripting language designed for web development and is also used as a general-purpose programming language. Basic object-oriented programming functionality was added in PHP3 and improved in PHP4. Object handling was completely rewritten for PHP 5, expanding the feature set and enhancing performance.
PHP is highly extensible which makes it quite easy for PHP programmers/developers to bring about the high degree of customization in the Web application development process.
PHP is open-source, hence the cost of Web development is less; PHP enjoys the support of the worldwide PHP developer community, so there is free expert advice available, which helps the developers to easily tackle even complex PHP application development problems.
On the other hand, Ruby on Rails (ROR) is a Software framework rather a universal, reusable software platform used to develop applications, products, and solutions.
ROR frameworks include support programs, compilers, code libraries, toolsets, and application programming interfaces (APIs) that bring together all the different components to enable the development of a project or solution.
The designers of ROR aim to facilitate software development by allowing designers and programmers to devote their time to meeting software requirements rather than dealing with the more standard low-level details of providing a working system, thereby reducing overall development time.
Again, Ruby on Rails, often simply Rails, is an open-source web application framework which runs on the Ruby programming language. Ruby on Rails emphasizes the use of well-known software engineering patterns and principles, such as active record pattern, do not repeat you (DRY), convention over configuration, and model-view-controller.
All said and done, ROR is a web application development platform to create client-specific web applications. The Web world is getting very interactive and online businesses are augmenting their web presentations to attract more clients.
ROR is a simple, easy to use web development platform that empowers our developers to rapidly create elegant applications and websites, which add ingenuity to your business and offer excellent value for your money.
As we go ahead with comparison into minute details of the two Programming platforms, here are the points that emerge:
- Ruby is a very succinct language. This means that you can be very expressive and do a lot in very few lines of code. PHP is very well known, so it might be easier for many people not familiar with Ruby to stay with PHP.
- PHP programs require less memory because by default they don’t have the overhead of a web framework. Although I haven’t seen any stats on this, I would imagine that a PHP app running inside a web framework as robust as Rails would have similar memory requirements.
- The additional add-ons only have to be made once per machine and are super easy to do.
- Rails are easier because it allows for migrations which make deployment of database changes easier than any open or commercial solution available.
- They are both equally easy and difficult to scale. The first level of scaling is just adding more memory/CPU/server instances to any other web application on the internet which includes, code optimizations, caching, more servers, database scaling, content delivery networks and more.
- PHP is a scripting language, Ruby on Rails is a web development framework based on the scripting language Ruby.
- The Quora community is divided: some vehemently favor PHP; others abhor it, some favor Ruby and Rails, while some argue that both have their place in the toolbox of a web developer and that knowing several different languages and frameworks will make one a better coder.
- PHP is widely in use, it’s the programming language of projects like Word press, Joomla, Drupal, Magneto, So if you want to develop for those, you will need PHP.
- PHP is considered to be faster, more stable, has more documentation, a bigger number of developers and is more widely available on hosting services.
- Some argue that PHP had a place in earlier years of web development history, but that ruby on rails is more progressive, more fitting for where the web is headed.
- PHP might be the better place to start and learn the basics of server side web development, only moving on to ruby on rails once a certain level of proficiency is reached. “Building a few things with raw PHP and SQL helps you really understand what’s going on under the covers”.
- Building a Web Startup from scratch was mentioned as a typical scenario for using ruby on rails.
Now that we have covered a gamut of comparative features between PHP and Ruby on Rails, our technical experts would be happy to provide you further insights into this most happening comparison in the Open Source programming world today.
For a free one hour technical and business consultation, contact us at 813-600-4060 ext 128. You can also reach us for an immediate response via our Contact Us page from our website (www.amzur.com).
Written and authored by Anil K. Patnaik, Amzur Technologies, Inc.