It was a tough year for recruiters in 2020. The pandemic and its repercussions devastated many talent acquisition teams worldwide. It also proved there is a need for a historic shift in talent acquisition and retention strategies.
The pandemic is showing both sides of the coin with many candidates having a newfound reluctance to seek new professional endeavors. Meanwhile, many employers have been unlikely to commit financially and have stopped or delayed new hires. On the other hand, some companies have hired aggressively to navigate these unprecedented times.
Ultimately, the pandemic has caused a surge and a change in tech talent acquisition strategies across industries, and led to companies embracing modern business initiatives such as digital technology transformation for seamless business operations.
The talent acquisition industry is also volatile. As companies embrace modern technologies, they have to be agile and revamp their tech talent acquisition strategies to have the best talent on board, – Sam Velu, head of IT Talent Acquisition for Amzur Technologies. Having a resilient workforce with diversified experience and expertise remains a mounting challenge for growing companies.
The evolution and rapid expansion of the remote working culture has further complicated the ability to hire senior-level executives and retain top talent, he added. Velu recently held conversations with fellow talent acquisition strategists and senior hiring managers, and has identified a few challenges/trends that modern hiring managers and companies are facing right now.
- Hiring senior-level executives
- Candidate ghosting
- Employees working on multiple jobs simultaneously
- Virtual tech talent acquisition strategies
Want to know more about how remote working teams help you optimize your time and cost compared to traditional hiring methods? Check out our complete guide on extended tech development teams now.
Post-pandemic challenges and opportunities for hiring managers
1. Hiring senior-level executives
No matter your business size, recruiting senior-level executives is critically important to current and long-term success. However, C-level executive hiring has always been challenging and there are numerous obstacles to overcome during the process.
One of the greatest challenges lies around making approaches to attract a potential experienced candidate away from a competitor. This means it is very important to identify and engage with these candidates as early as possible.
Experienced and senior executives require a good amount of information about an employer before they make a decision. Therefore, companies need to develop and diversify tech talent acquisition strategies to ensure a better candidate experience.
2. Candidate ghosting
Most people are familiar with the word ghosting. To put it simply, it is the process of hiding from someone and stopping communication with them. Candidate ghosting is an age-old problem that has haunted companies for years. Whenever a candidate stops communicating with you during the hiring process, they are likely ghosting you.
Despite the devastating impact of the pandemic on the job market, candidate ghosting has continued to rise over the past year. According to an Indeed report, 28% of job applicants had ghosted a prospective employer over the past year. Despite responding to emails and calls, candidates choose the path of silence, further complicating the hiring process and delaying the time it takes to hire someone. [source]
There are numerous reasons for candidate ghosting including:
- A better job offer in the meantime.
- Dissatisfied with the salary offered.
- The job wasn’t the right fit for them.
The best hiring strategy to overcome this problem is to keep the candidate informed of where they are in the hiring process, which also helps you track their response and save time and resources. Other effective tools to combat candidate ghosting are the use of virtual interviews and online talent marketplaces to optimize the vetting process.
Above all, companies need to embrace modern tech talent acquisition strategies such as email funnels to keep candidates engaged and informed.
3. Employees working on multiple jobs simultaneously
Due to an increase in remote working there has also been an observed increase in some employees working for multiple companies as a side gig. This trend is growing in industries from tech to insurance to banking.
With the advent of modern project management tools, millions of employees are working for more than one employer at a time. We call them moonlighters, and they work on average 46 hours per week.
Though it is not illegal or a crime, it has the potential to significantly impact an employee’s performance. Here are the major concerns from employers with employees working on two jobs at a time.
- They are concerned about trade secrets and confidential information.
- As employees do two jobs at a time, they will eventually exhaust and become unproductive.
- Use of the company resources for another company’s benefit. Moonlighting can affect an employee’s health in terms of poor attentiveness, lack of sleep, and fatigue.
Companies could respond with new rules, but it would still be difficult to probe and track employees. Therefore, having a team of ethical employees is the need of the hour. Collaborating with an IT staffing company in Tampa, Florida, like Amzur can help you find the best and dedicated resources worldwide.
Our experience and expertise in IT staffing solutions ensure you have the right fit culturally and professionally on board.
4. Virtual tech talent acquisition strategies
The pandemic has changed the hiring paradigm, and companies are exploring virtual tech talent acquisition strategies for efficiency and time savings.
As millions of employees are working from home/remotely, the work landscape has changed dramatically. The massive transformation to remote work during the pandemic raised the need for virtual recruitment and onboarding.
In compliance with the ongoing trends, employers are adopting virtual hiring strategies to supplant tedious hiring practices. Making virtual hiring a core strategy can help you attract the right candidates.
A video interviewing platform gives you an intuitive experience while interacting with a candidate and also simplifies candidate assessment. Additionally, it provides a recorded version of the interview for future reference.
If you are struggling to build modern tech talent acquisition strategies, Amzur can help you with top-notch hiring practices to ensure the best talent in-house.
Rise of video interviews during a pandemic: Four stats to know now
With the ongoing pandemic and the continuing uncertainty of personal face-to-face interviews, the need for virtual or video interviews has risen enormously. Regardless of their size, nearly every company made virtual interviews a mandate to save time and prevent further spread of the virus.
On the other hand, both employers and employees are moving ahead to digitize their resume with a video for the initial screening process, further simplifying the skills and experience evaluation process.
Here are some fascinating stats about the rise of virtual interviews in 2021 and beyond.
Check out this blog to know the best benefits of virtual talent recruitment.
Emerging tech hubs and growing tech roles in the United States
In our recent conversation with industry leaders and hiring wizards, we’ve found that the United States (U.S.) is in need of highly skilled and experienced technologists. Here are some fascinating facts for you to understand the growing tech talent needs across the U.S.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects a 31% growth rate for cybersecurity positions and a 22% growth rate for software development roles from 2019-2029. These new roles may open in emerging tech cities across the United States.
- Popular subfields include IT support, data science and analysis, quality assurance (QA) testing, and entry-level help desk and tech support roles.
- Texas has an incredibly diverse economy, and so the technology innovation is also broad-based,” one engineer said. “We are seeing huge sectors of the economy (financial services, real estate, healthcare, education, skilled trades, hospitality, industrial, energy, manufacturing) that were slower to digitize, now start to embrace cloud-based solutions across their entire organizations.”
- Raleigh NBC affiliate WRAL reports the leading North Carolina tech occupations in 2020 were software development, network and systems administration, systems analysis, user support, and IT project management.
- Denver features employment opportunities in software development, information security, systems engineering, data science, and systems and network administration.
- CompTIA’s 2020 Tech Town Index singles out software development, financial technology, blockchain technology, and health technology as leading computer science and IT sectors in the Atlanta metro area.
- Tampa is witnessing a surge of tech startups and IT jobs are expected to rise by 6% till 2024; all this has been converting Tampa into a tech town, and the fact is acknowledged by everyone as Forbes recently named it among “Top 10 Best Cities for Young Entrepreneurs.”
The above stats show that different parts of the U.S. have unique talent requirements and need futuristic talent acquisition strategies. This has created opportunities for millions of tech experts across the globe.
Conclusion: Amzur’s IT staffing solutions
Amzur has been in the IT staffing industry for more than 15 years. We’ve been serving SMEs and also fortune companies in the U.S. with our bespoke tech talent acquisition strategies. Our approach is agile and ensures you can navigate unforeseen disruptions without hurting your business growth.
We are experts in finding and filling resources including, entry, mid, and senior levels. Unlike other staffing services providers, we leverage modern ways of assessing candidates through a video interviewing platform. Amzur offers a wide range of IT staffing services including, permanent, contract-to-hire, temporary, and on-demand staffing solutions that fit your business requirements.
Our interviewing process is transparent and ensures you will get the right fit that aligns with your vision. Our virtual hiring strategies considerably reduce time-to-hire and save on overhead costs while maximizing your talent pool accessibility.